Our Lodge was consecrated in 1962 and our sponsor was Old Sutton Manor Lodge (No. 5550) that existed until 2008; all of our founding members came from that Lodge. Originally we were a London Lodge, but Sutton Court transferred to Middlesex Province in 1979. As the house known as Sutton Court was the manor house of the old Sutton Manor, it seemed to be the natural name for this Lodge when it was formed; indeed our sister Lodge took the name of the other mansion house in Chiswick, Stile Hall.Over the years, Sutton Court Lodge has grown to become a very friendly and welcoming Lodge. We have members from all walks of life and all ages (our ‘senior’ member is over 100-years-old and has been a Freemason for over sixty years!) and we come together four times a year in a spirit of true masonic fraternity. At Sutton Court Lodge we follow Taylor’s Ritual, which is renowned for its very precise working, its unique floor work, its clear and descriptive language and the fullness of its ceremonial content.The masonic adage of “Happy to Meet, Sorry to Part, Happy to Meet Again” could easily have been written as Sutton Court’s motto!
Source: Brentford & Chiswick Local History Journal 25 (2016)
History shows that there were originally two feudal estates or manors in Chiswick, London. Sutton manor was the larger of Chiswick's two manors. It was first recorded in 1181 and known as Sutton Court by 1537. During the 14th and 15th centuries Sutton manor was held by the Crown. King Richard II built a house on Sutton manor in 1396. Records show that £928 12s 3d was spent on it, using timbers from the temporary parliament building in Westminster. The house stood within a moat and consisted of a hall, chapel, two chambers with two solars above and a cellar beneath. A medieval undercroft, almost certainly belonging to this house, was discovered in 1905 (at the time it was thought to be a Roman vault). Henry IV used the house and so did Henry V but he gave orders for it to be pulled down in 1415 and the building material taken elsewhere. However, a new house must have been erected shortly afterwards since Henry VI issued state papers from Chiswick between 1441 and 1443.The manor house, which stood on the corner of Sutton Court Road with Fauconberg Road, had a gatehouse, malthouse and farm buildings `all in decay' in 1589 but in 1674 was described as `fit to receive a family of 40 or 50', and in 1691, when it was home to Earl and Countess Fauconberg (she was the daughter of Oliver Cromwell), was noted for its gardens which contained a maze and a bowling green. The house was largely rebuilt about 1795 by an undertenant of the Duke of Devonshire, who was now its owner. In 1844 Frederick Tappenden was keeping a boarding school there and the house's final function was as temporary council offices while Chiswick Town Hall was being enlarged in 1900. It was then demolished and in 1905 the large blocks of flats called Sutton Court built in its grounds.